Prime Minister Siaosi Sovaleni has appointed his Cabinet Ministers and held his first official meeting with them this morning in Nuku’alofa.
During the ministers’ appointment ceremony Mr Sovaleni also appointed Dr Pita Taufatofua as Ha’apai new governor.
The ceremony included a prayer service led by by the Secretary General of the Free Wesleyan Church of Tonga, Rev ‘Alifeleti ‘Atiola.
“The Prime Minister’s Office has the honour of advising members of the public, that His Majesty, King Tupou VI, upon receiving recommendations from the Prime Minister, the Hon. Siaosi ‘Ofakivahafolau Sovaleni, has appointed the new Ministers of Government, with effect from 28th December, 2021,” a Prime Minister’s Office statement said today.
It said the Prime Minister “presented the letters of appointments to all of the Cabinet” today Wednesday 29.
As Kaniva News reported last night, here’s what the new government looks like.
Siaosi ‘Ofa Ki Vahafolau Sovaleni (Hu’akavameiliku)
- Minister for His Majesty’s Armed Forces
- Minister of Police, Fire Services and Emergency Services
- Minister of Education and Training
Poasi Mataele Tei
- Deputy Prime Minister
- Minister for Meteorology, Energy, Information, Disaster Management, Environment, Climate Change and Communications (MEIDECC)
- Minister for Public Enterprises
Tatafu Toma Moeaki
- Minister of Finance
- Minister of Customs and Revenue
- Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Minister of Tourism
- Minister for Infrastructure
Saia Ma’u Piukala
- Minister of Health
Sēmisi Tauelangi Fakahau
- Minister of Fisheries
Viliami Manuopangai Hingano
- Minister of Agriculture, Food and Forest
Dr Viliami Uasikē Lātū
- Minister for Economic Development and Trade
- Minister for Lands and Natural Resources
Sione Sangster Saulala
- Minister of Internal Affairs
Sāmiu Kiuta Vaipulu
- Minister of Justice and Prisons