Tongan mother laments after son shot in Mangere Bridge

    A Tongan mother has asked her followers and friends on Facebook to allow her to grieve in a status she posted after her son was shot in Mangere Bridge, South Auckland on Sunday morning.

    Dianahope Mataele has also asked them to pray for her son Mesake Piula Mataele at this very difficult time.

    She said he was her “baby” and she could not bear watching him while struggling with his injuries in hospital.

    She said her son was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

    A source very close to the mother told Kaniva news they were in the same church in Mangere.

    As Kaniva news reported on Sunday, one person had suffered a gunshot wound and was transported to Auckland Hospital in a serious condition.

    He is currently reported to be stable.

    A second man, was injured during the same incident.

    An eyewitness told us on Sunday they heard gunshots before Police arrived and cordoned off the scene.  She said she also heard people yelling and swearing in Tongan.

    She said she woke up at 5am to take her sister to work when she heard a commotion nearby.

    Police were called to the incident at the South Auckland boat ramp on Coronation Rd .

    “The area has become a popular spot for late-night rowdy parties and residents have become so frustrated with drinking-related issues, fighting and noise that a community meeting had been arranged for tomorrow night.”

    Police cordoned off the area and have launched an investigation. 

    Yesterday Police said, Police enquiries were ongoing into the shooting.

    Detective Senior Sergeant Warrick Adkin of Counties Manukau West CIB said the male remains in a stable condition in hospital.

    “Police have now completed a scene examination and are currently carrying out a number of enquiries in relation to the offender(s) involved including canvassing CCTV footage in the area,” Adkin said.

    Police are also continuing with the examination of a number of vehicles located in or around the scene.

    Adkin said Police want to hear from anyone who has information about this incident.

    “We believe there were a number of people present in the general area around the time that the incident took place, which was reported to Police shortly after 5.30am.”


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here