Five people have been rushed to hospital after an explosion at De La Salle College in Māngere East, south Auckland.
It is understood a barbeque exploded. A total of eight people, including six schoolchildren, were treated for burns injuries at the scene by ambulance staff.
Police are assisting emergency services at the incident that occurred at approximately 11.50am this morning.
Police received a report of an explosion at the college which is believed to have been generated from a butane canister, Sergeant Ollie Nation said.
St John paramedics assessed eight people at the scene.
One person received serious injuries and seven others received minor injuries and were transported to Middlemore Hospital.
The injured were both students and teachers.
Worksafe NZ has been notified.
No further information is available at this stage.