Four male teenagers have reportedly been arrested after Kaniva news reported alleged assaulting and kidnapping of a 15-year-old boy at a bush allotment in Matahau on Saturday night, July 21.
A 15-year-old boy had been charged with assault while three aged 17 and 19 were charged each with causing bodily harm.
The accused remain in custody to appear at the Nukunuku Magistrate’s Court on Thursday, July 26.
As Kaniva News reported last night five men who covered their faces allegedly assaulted and threatened to chop up a young boy with an axe in a bush allotment in Matahau at about 2am.
It has been claimed the men kidnapped Lehopoame Jr Makasini and allegedly threatened to throw him into a well.
They also allegedly beat him with a machete and an iron pipe they found in the bush allotment.
Photos of the young boy which had been shared on Facebook this week showed he has some bruises on his face.
The men allegedly forced him to walk with them to the town and on their way they repeatedly beat him.
The abduction was interrupted by an uncle of Lehopoame who was smoking outside a kava house when they walked pass in the darkness, Kakalu ‘O Tonga newspaper has reported.
The uncle allegedly saw the men in the dark and heard someone being beaten so he went to investigate. When he found out it was Lehopoame Jr who was being beaten he chased the men away.
Lehopoame’s father, Lehopoame Snr, told the paper Police were called and they took his son to hospital.
He claimed Police knew the men involved.
He said his other children threatened to revenge the assault against their young brother as they knew the men but they were advised by Police to leave it to the hands of the law.
The father said his son was sleeping at a hut in their bush allotment where he had been keeping watch after some items were stolen.