A boy who was reported to have been killed by an electric shock outside the office of the Minister of Internal affairs walked into her office
Tonga’s Minister of Internal Affairs and Sports Hon. Akosita Lavulavu said a local radio station reported a boy had died after he was electrocuted in front of her office.
The Minister claimed the boy did not realise a live power line was near the side of the road.
She said the boy felt a shockwave from the power line and in an attempt to escape it he was electrocuted.
The boy was rushed to hospital and was reported dead on the midday news.
However, shortly afterwards, a boy stood at her door and told the Minister he was the one who had been electrocuted.
Hon. Lavulavu quoted the boy as saying in Tongan: “‘Eiki Minisita Koau na’e soki’i ‘aneuhu ka ko ‘eku ha’u ke fakaha atu ‘oku ou Sai pe, Koau eni ‘oku ou mo’ui pe.”
This translates into English as: “Honorouble Minister I was the one who was being electrocuted this morning and I am coming to tell you I am fine. I am alive.”
Hon. Lavulavu posted photos of her, the boy and her staff on Facebook this morning saying she and her staff were happy he was alive. She thanked Tonga Power Ltd for their quick response to the incident.
As Kaniva News reported last week, a man survived an electric shock in Tongatapu on February 21.
The Vaiola hospital superintendent said the man was in hospital after being electrocuted, but he was alive.
Tongatapu residents were in the process of cleaning up after Tropical Cyclone Gita ravaged it along with the nearby island of ‘Eua last month.