Emotions run high as body of dengue fever victim arrives in Auckland

    Tu'uta mai ki 'Aokalani, Nu'u Sila 'anehengihengi 'a e me'a faka'eiki 'o Toafei Telefoni ko ha ki'i ta'ahine ta'u 12 na'a ne malolo 'i Tonga mei he mahaki mofi tengi.

    Sounds of lamentation from family members were heard at Auckland International Airport
    this morning as the body of Toafei Telefoni was carried off an aircraft from Tonga.

    As Kaniva News reported on Monday, Telefoni died of what health authorities described as “dengue shock syndrome.”

    Her mother, ‘Alavina Telefoni, found it hard to see her cousins and relatives who were
    waiting at the airport for her and her dead daughter.

    She hugged and kissed some of them in a moment some described on Facebook as
    “lo’imata’ia” (full of tears).

    Toafei’s body was taken to the Anns Funeral Home and Onsite Cremations in Wiri, Manukau city.

    A failotu (prayer service) was scheduled to be held tonight at 7pm at the mortuary and her
    wake will be held at the Free Wesleyan Church in Otahuhu on Friday night, a source very closed to the family told Kaniva News.

    The family and relatives in South Auckland held a series of meetings since Monday to
    discuss their cultural duties for the funeral, the source said.

    They also held failotu in honour of Telefoni.


    ‘Alavina came from Ha’ateiho and her father Sini Telefoni was from Hofoa.
    Residents of the two towns as well as relatives of the couple paid tributes to Toafei on

    “So so sad ….. if only they took her in to the (hospital) earlier she could
    have had a chance but anyway fly high little girl,” a commentator wrote.

    “Our deepest condolences Vina – wish we were there for you also – Ofa lahi Atu to you and
    your beautiful family during this hard time xoxox,” one commentator wrote.

    “My deepest condolences to you and your family – especially losing such a beautiful, young
    angel. Xxx,” another wrote.


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here