Police arrest two men over US peace corps director attack

    Two men have been arrested by Tongan police investigating the assault of the Director of US Peace Corps in Sopu.

    The director, who has not been named, was jogging along a footpath behind one of the residences at the waterfront when a man attacked her on Saturday, July 16.

    The accused, aged 21 and 23, had been charged with grievous bodily harm and in connection with the attack.

    “These arrests reflect very good police work and result from a very thorough investigation,” says Commissioner of Police Steve Caldwell.

    “Both accused persons have been remanded in custody and will appear in the Magistrates Court on the 5th of September 2016”.

    READ MORE

    Film claims US Peace Corps helped accused go free after 1976 Tongan killing

    “Peace corps operations continue as normal,” US office says as police follow leads after attack

    Fundraising to find US Peace Corps’ attacker as fury surges among Tongan community

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here